VicRoads SDP Acceptable Evidence of Identity Documents

Acceptable Evidence of Identity Documents

Category A documents

One of the following documents must be current or expired by no more than two years:

  • Australian photo drivers licence or permit photo card
  • Victorian Marine licence photo card
  • Victorian Firearm licence photo card
  • Victorian Security Guard/Crowd Controller photo card
  • Australian passport
  • Overseas passport (only if accompanied by a current Australian visa e.g. permanent    residency or temporary visa)
  • Document of identity issued by the Passport Office (usually issued to travellers to Norfolk Island)
  • Australian police force officer photo identity card
  • Consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • Full Australian birth certificate or change of name registration issued by the Registry of Births
  • Deaths and Marriages: (Note: Birth extracts and Commemorative birth certificates are not accepted)
  • Australian naturalisation or citizenship certificate, or a Document for Travel to Australia


A Visa Evidence Card or a Community detention: letter of introduction, issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship or the Passport Office (read note 1)

  • NSW Photo Card (issued by NSW RMS after 14 December 2008).


  • Current driver licence photo image held by VicRoads, provided your identity has been confirmed previously.


1. For applicants under 16 years of age the document (if issued prior to July 2004) may be in the name of a parent or legal guardian provided that the applicant is also listed on the document. The parent's licence is sighted and the number recorded. If the parent does not hold a licence, a statutory declaration must be provided. Post July 2004, all applicants are issued with individual citizenship documents.

Applicants presenting with an 'E' Visa issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship are also accepted as long as VicRoads can verify its authenticity. If you require further information regarding the 'E' visa authentication process, visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

A Visa Evidence card or Immigration cards must be current or accompanied by supporting documentation issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

2. A Community detention: letter of introduction is sufficient proof for both residence and identity.

Category B documents

One of these documents:

  • State or federal government employee photo ID card
  • Medicare card
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs card
  • Pensioner Concession card
  • Current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth
  • Student identity card
  • Any Australian or overseas credit card or account card from a bank, building society or credit union
  • Working with Children Check card
  • Australian Proof of Age card
  • Australian Key-pass card
  • Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff).


One of these documents that is current or no more than one year old (internet printed statements are acceptable):

  • Passbook or bank account statement showing the institutions letterhead or stamp
  • Telephone, gas or electricity bill showing the institutions letterhead or with a stamp
  • Letters from ATO, Centre-link, Bank and Medicare showing institutions letterhead or stamp.


One of these documents that is current or no more than two years old:

  • Water rates, council rates or land evaluation notice
  • Electoral enrolment card or other evidence of enrolment
  • Armed services discharge papers
  • Current Victorian Driving Authority photo identity card.

Evidence of Victorian residence

You will need one of the following documents if your Victorian residential address is not shown or is different on your Category A or Category B evidence documents:

  • Contract of sale, lease, or rental document that shows your current address
  • Current renewal notice for a driver licence or vehicle registration
  • Australian Taxation Office Assessment (last or current financial year).

If you still cannot establish evidence of your Victorian residence, you must provide a referee statement which must:

  • be signed by a Victorian driver licence holder who has known you for 12 months or more, and
  • The referee's name, licence number and signature.

This statement is made on the learner permit or licence application form. 

Evidence of change of name

You will need one of the following documents if your name is different on the Category A and Category B evidence documents:

  • Marriage certificate issued by a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia
  • Divorce papers (showing the name being reverted to)
  • Deed Poll (issued before November 1986 in Victoria)
  • Change of Name Certificate (issued after November 1986 in Victoria).