A quick and easy guide to My Aged Care

My Aged Care guide health services

Navigating your way around accessing health services can be complex, and may sometimes feel a little overwhelming.

So we’ve put together a quick and simple guide to understanding and accessing health services through the Australian Government’s My Aged Care system.

What is My Aged Care?
My Aged Care is a national system that enables all people aged over 65 (over 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) to find information and access Australian Government-funded or subsidised health services.

My Aged Care makes it more cost-effective for older people to access health services and support including:

  • in-home services, such as home care and personal care
  • residential care services, including respite
  • allied health and nursing services – including podiatry, physiotherapy, nursing services, social support programs and transport.
  • home care packages.

How do I access My Aged Care?
To access these Australian Government-funded and subsidised services, you need to register with My Aged Care (your carer, friend or relative may be able to do this for you).

To register, have your Medicare card ready and call 1800 200 422. You can also register at the My Aged Care website.

Once you have registered, you will need to have a free assessment through either the Aged Care Assessment Service or the Regional Assessment Service. My Aged Care staff will help arrange the assessment, which can be completed at your home.

At the assessment, a health professional will look into your health and wellbeing needs and help you and/or your carers access support.

What happens once I’ve been assessed?
My Aged Care will help you:

  • find out what types of aged care services are available
  • work out whether you’re eligible for these services
  • refer you to these services
  • let you know where you need to go to access these services.
  • calculate any out-of-pocket fees you’ll need to pay for health services and support.

My Aged Care at Connect Health & Community
If you are over 65 years old (or your caring for someone over 65) and wish to access allied health services*, social support or transport services at Connect Health & Community, you’ll need to be referred through the My Aged Care system. Your GP/health provider or a family member can do this for you. You can also refer yourself.

For more information, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website.

*Allied health services include physiotherapy, podiatry, occupational therapy, diet and nutrition services, diabetes education and speech pathology. Connect Health & Community counselling and community health nursing services do not need to go through My Aged Care.

You may also like

  • Dry July, give it a try

    What are the health benefits of saying no to that extra glass of wine or beer? How about giving it up for a whole month?

    Read More
  • Occupational Therapy student receives Connect Health & Community Award at Monash MNSH Student Awards

    Congratulations to Occupational Therapy student Dana-Quyen Thanh Do on receiving the Connect Health & Community Award at the Monash University MNHS Student Awards.

    Read More
  • Better Health Network announces new Chairperson and CEO

    Following the voluntary amalgamation of Central Bayside Community Health Services, Connect Health & Community and Star Health, Better Health Network today announced Janice Munt as the organisation’s inaugural Chairperson and Damian Ferrie as its first Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

    Read More
Speech Pathology for Kids

Speech Pathology for Kids

Speech pathologists provide assessment and management of communication, swallowing and feeding difficulties.

Read More
Community Transport

Community Transport

We have been offering safe and quality door-to-door transport options to our community since 1975.

Read More
Occupational Therapy Week 21-27 October

Occupational Therapy Week 21-27 October

We provide Occupational Therapy to help children, adults and those experiencing mental health issues, to achieve their full potential.

Read More